Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2008 18:47:18 +1300
From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
I would agree wholeheartedly About not using comercial products such
as CRC 5.56/WD40, Armor All etc on shells.

Silicone (not silicon, which is an element!)-based "oils" and
paraffin should be safe.

As to penetration, this is limited by the size of the silicone or
organic molecules. They cannot penetrate deeply because the shell
structure filters out the large molecules; the thinner solvent
(smaller molecules) can indeed penetrate further, but cannot pull the
oil molecules in with them.

I use paraffin full-strength and wipe the shell off with paper
handkerchiefs until they are no longer greasy. Sometimes I have to
reapply paraffin. I use a small artist's paintbrush for application.
There is no problem with excess oil inside the shell, as there will
be if dipping.

Note that paraffin will stop a periostracum from peeling, but it will
NOT keep hairy ones soft.