Sender:
From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2008 01:37:18 -0500
7bit
Does anyone know whether there has been much study of the common ways
that shells are eroded or broken?

I've noticed that I can be walking on an Atlantic beach with someone
who doesn't seriously collect and they'll pick up a (to them)
attractive fragment and I'll know from a small sliver what it is. (But
I might not be able to explain how I know). How many ways are there for
Neverita duplicata to be eroded and broken and sliced by waves and
other environmental factors? It seems like there are quite a few
"forms." It can be challenging to identify certain atypical fragments
or eroded shells of less familiar species.

Some shells are known mainly in their incomplete state. For instance,
they might be invariably "decapitated" by the time they're adult. In
such cases, we're unfamiliar with what they would look like intact.
Just yesterday, I found a young Truncatella with its protoconch intact
and I'm hoping to post an image of that soon.

David Kirsh
Durham, NC