Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:39:06 -0500
From:
Karen VanderVen <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
Dear Lyle,

I've been overdue on getting back in touch with you, since your new
address e-mail.
But this message is a good occasion.

First of all - the shells that I picked out from those you brought to
Wilmington - I didn't
take them with me.  If  you still have them, maybe the next time we
meet to shell
you could bring them and I'll either pay you or bring something to
trade.  As to that
I know at some point there will be another trip down to NC for shelling
- Portsmouth IS,
Shackleford Banks, etc. - will let you know when that comes about.

Now, as to the C. spurius - one of my favorites and I've been building
my own collection of
these - to exhibit, not for scientific study.

I've collected them everywhere - I have some from Florida (self-coll.)
and otherwise,
some from the Bahamas (self-coll). both snorkel and scuba  and as you
know some from Margarita, Venezuela
and some from Amuay Bay, Venezuela (think I've sent you some of these).
  Interestingly,
there was one spot ( a rocky part of a beach near Puenta Piedras) that
on two trips
I was able to find several C. spurius arubaensis - in the rocks by
climbing around in
them.

Do you have C. spurius, 'Yucatan form' ?  These were brought back in
the 50s by
shrimpers who trawled in the area and apparently don't go there any
more.  I got
several from a shrimper I knew at the time. The spots are smaller and
the background
whiter.  This species was written up in 'Some New and Interesting
Mollusks from the
Gulf of Mexico" by Rehder et. al. in 1953.

Let me know if you'd like any more info on any of the above.

Karen