Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 16:11:35 -0400
From:
Robert Avent <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Comments:
To: Jan Haspeslagh <[log in to unmask]>
     OK Here are two recipes I used to do in Florida:

                        Bob's Stuffed Indian River Clams.

     First dig a bunch of big Mercenaria.  Clean them and put them into a
     pressure cooker with about a quarter inch of water.  Cook for a few
     minutes under 10psi pressure.  The meat just slides out of the shell.
     Save and reduce the broth down to half, cool and save.  (You can just
     steam them open but the pressure cooker works best)

     Chop the meat, and for each pound of meat:

     Chop: One large onion, two ribs of celery, one bell pepper and 2-4
     toes of garlic  Saute in butter or olive oil until wilted and clear.
     Add clam meat.  Add one additional volume of bread stuffing mix
     (out-o-the-bag), toss together and season with cayenne and black
     pepper, sage, and other herbs (margoram is good).  Go easy on the salt
     for now.  Toss with as much of the reduced broth as is necessary to
     hold the moistened mixture together.  Pack back into the shells, top
     with a square of bacon, bake at ~350F, until hot and brown.

                        Donax broth

     Dig and sieve about a half gallon of Donax. Just cover with water and
     bring to a boil.  Decant and reduce the broth to desired strength and
     use with any recipe you like.  Its good just the way it is but you can
     make lots of things with veggies, cream, seafood.

     Now you can shake or pick the meat away and use them whole in the
     soup.  Theyre good with beer for a football party.  For those of you
     who cant take the sand, you can purge the donax overnight in clean
     oxygenated seawater.