Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:25:14 +1000
8bit
From:
Bob Dayle <[log in to unmask]>
Hi, Ken.

That would be a serious turn of events, to have the marine life of Hawaii
declared off-limits!

However, this does NOT seem to be the case. Have a look at
http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/ which is the Dep't of Land and Natural Resources'
Division of Aquatic Resources. Some divemasters and resort areas try to enforce
a no-collecting policy but let's face it, shells still get collected. As long as
the collector is aware of venomous species, the ocean and other divers remain
the major threats to safe collecting.

Conservation areas, as you mentioned, are off-limits, but these are normally
well-marked.

Good luck to them and, hopefully, you can let us know how they faired.

Aloha,

Bob Dayle