Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2008 23:26:12 -0500
7bit
From:
"Martin H. Eastburn" <[log in to unmask]>
Oliva carneola kwajaleinensis Motta, 1985

[sniffle, I found ours in 1964 ]

Locality   : Lagoon side East reef, Kwajalein Atoll.
In sand, 30-40 feet deep in June 1992.
[ wonder what island - the East reef inside (lagoon) is a long reef. ]
Endemic species of Kwajalein and Kwajalein form.

http://shell.kwansei.ac.jp/~shell/pic_book/data47/r004617.html

It would appear that Motta San got permission or had connections in 1985
and again or another person or trip in 1992.

One of the issues is simply freedom.  A research boat floating in the
Lagoon that has islands with
a half dozen Radar sites or Loran sites or missile site(s) .....
and perhaps a missile shot (coming and/or going)
would be a tricky wicket in security.  Taking cover during a shot,
(dropping or exploding metal is dangerous)
would take time if not planned.  An atoll being 70 miles on the
diagonal uses up time in transit.

Martin

>> WOW!  What a cool site!
>>
>> Somebody once told me, or I read somewhere, that because of the US
>> military presence on Kwajalein there isn\'t much tourism.  I\'ve always
>> thought that\'s pretty unfortunate especially since there seems to be air
>> service via Continental to the island.Can anyone clue me in?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --- On Wed, 8/6/08, Martin H. Eastburn <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> From: Martin H. Eastburn <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: [CONCH-L] Kwajalein Underwater - live shell pictures...
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> Date: Wednesday, August 6, 2008, 10:12 PM
>>
>> http://www.underwaterkwaj.com/
>>
>> For all at COA - this is a site - I believe is/from Scott and Jeanette
>> Johnston.
>>
>> The Living Cowry Shell pictures are priceless.   A number of movies
>> were
>> made by
>> themselves (unknown to me until now) (younger brothers friend) and the
>> movies
>> had frame text and pictures.
>>
>> A massive amount of information pertaining the Marshall Islands and
>> Kwaj
>> in specific.
>>
>> I believe they are well known on the west coast for their work as well.
>>
>> I found the site by searching for their company.  Google found it for
>> me.
>> Enjoy.
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> --
>> Martin H. Eastburn
>> @ home at Lions\' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot
>> net
>> TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot\'s Medal.
>> NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder
>> IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.
>> http://lufkinced.com/

>> [log in to unmask] - a forum for informal discussions on molluscs
>> To leave this list, click on the following web link:
>> http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=conch-l&A=1
>> Type your email address and name in the appropriate box and
>> click leave the list.

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/