Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2008 16:34:51 -0700
8bit
From:
Michael LaFosse <[log in to unmask]>
--- John and Lynette Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> I must take issue with your "guarantee" about not
> being bit by a shark. I have a good friend that was
> simply snorkeling / free diving for shells, not
> swimming with bait fish, not spear fishing, and not
> in a place where humans feed sharks, and he was
> viciously attacked by a Grey reef shark.

I am sorry to hear about your friend.  I have read
most of the posts about sharks and shell collecting.
Two items seem consistent: Most divers claim little to
no trouble with sharks, even in close encounters; a
minority have frightening to serious experiences to
report.  Also, common points of caution have been
stated; and in direct conflict of these precautions,
attacks have occurred.  Color, visibility, "feeding
time", prey mimicry (shape or behavior) and territory
conflict are most often cited as instigation for the
attack.

I have long had a theory, for which I have no
biological testing studies to back it up with: That a
person's physiological condition could be a factor in
some attacks.  Can sharks detect mild to moderate
conditions of organ disease, triggering a "That's the
one to cull, an easy lunch!" action?

Michael LaFosse