Sender:
From:
"Harry G. Lee, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 17:08:52 -0400
Dear Ross,

The systematics of LWC's (little white clams) is a muddle.  Generic
assignments in popular works (e. g. Abbott (1974) are often not consistent
with type specimens and there are few focussed studies on these families (e.
g. Kelliidae, Montacutidae, Galeommatidae, Chlamydoconchidae, Turtoniidae,
sportellidae).  My "systematics" place Bornia floridana Dall, 1899 not in
Erycina or Naeromya (as Abbott did) but in Orobitella.  On the other hand, I
have a few species from Florida which seem to fit in the generic unit
Erycina.  Recently Paula Mikkelsen and Rudiger Bieler have done a little
work on Floridian LWC's.  I have Cc'ed this message to them as I don't
believe they are Conch-L'ers.

Harry

At 09:04 AM 9/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear COA members:
>
>Are bivalves of the genus Erycina found in Florida waters???  I have seen
>reference made to Erycina floridana, but that it is doubtful that this
>genus occurs in the U.S.
>
>Thanks, Ross
>
>_____________________________________________________________________________
>
>Ross W. Gundersen                               email: [log in to unmask]
>Associate Professor of Biological Sciences      fax: 414-595-2056
>University of Wisconsin - Parkside              telephone: 414-595-2417
>900 Wood Road
>Box 2000
>Kenosha, Wisconsin  53141-2000

Harry G. Lee
mailto:[log in to unmask]
Suite 500, 1801 Barrs Street
Jacksonville, FL  32204
U. S. A.    904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm