Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2009 19:21:57 +1200
7bit
From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Strombus (ss) too yields a lot of freaks.

With Lambis lambis I have noticed that many have a slit near the
periphery, implying a cut in the mantle edge. This got me to thinking.
I suspect that some collectors are deliberately injuring the animals
of this species to produce freaks, which are later harvested. Of
course such freaks can happen "naturally" (what is more artificial
about a crab, than a human,  injuring the snail?). But so  many are on
offer that I think that people are making the most of the market
forces and recoverability of large obvious shells (ie they have a good
chance of being able to find them again a few days or weeks later...
the terminal varix will take at most a few days to produce, I would
think).

The tall-spired specimens of Strombus luhuanus, S. urceus etc are also
generally caused by mantle injuries; likewise I would expect this to
be the case with the arostrate and canalless specimens of  L.
millepeda. Some of these may be artificially-induced. However I have
also seen canalless specimens of S. mutabilis and Neptunea arthritica,
and these are most unlikely (because of size/recoverability and
trawl/recoverability issues respectively) to be human-generated.

Harpago with extra spines are true mutations, as are Lambis which are
normal except for fewer/more spines than normal. These specimens do
not display any abnormality-related deformities or healed breaks
healed breaks.

Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand
Fossil preparator