Sender:
From:
Matt Blaine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 23:39:39 -0000
Marcus,
I think that Paul would be the one to answer this (or a chemist). From my
experiences with and readings regarding insects and their storage in
alcohol, I don't think that it will damage the shell. Isopropyl alcohol
makes the tissue harder than ethyl alcohol does thus harder to clean the
animal out later on if that is your intent.
I know that when using alcohol to preserve animals ( tissue) that it is best
to begin with lower percentages of alcohol and gradually increase the
alcohol percent. This is due to the fact that high percentages of alcohol
will harden (desiccate) the outer tissue and form a barrier which the water
in the internal parts can not pass through easily. The process is to start
with 20% for a few hours than 30% for a few hours up to say 70% for storage
or for making a permanent slide. Remember that the animal will dilute the
alcohol percentages so you don't want to leave the animal in 20% for a
prolonged time or you will have deterioration.
I have never read or heard that either isopropyl or ethyl alcohol will
damage shell. An organic chemist might have better insight on this question.
Oh, I have found that you can purchase "rubbing alcohol" in the US that is
ethyl alcohol although it is much harder to find that isopropyl.
Matt