Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:29:28 -0400
8bit
It is the process of natural selection. The mussels that are the easiest
for the crabs to crack and eat are the ones with thinner shells. The
process of survival favors those with thicker shells as they have a
greater chance to survive. Over time, the population shifts to a thicker
shelled population. This requires a bit of genotypic variation in the
population upon which natural selection can work.

> Alan; can you or someone explain how a mussel shell can be induced to grow
> thicker because a crab is chewing on it? obviously the mussel can't make a
> conscious decision to do that. Is it the irritation that causes thicker
> shell growth? If so then captive mussels could be induced to grow thicker
> shells by scraping them with a file?
>
> I understand how a colony of mussels could, over generations, grow thicker
> shells because of this type of predation but i can't grasp how a single
> organism can perform that feat. pete krull

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm
Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine