Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 2009 12:37:44 -0600
7bit
From:
Thomas Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
I was gonna stay clear of this one, but...(something about good intentions
comes to mind).  About a dozen or more years ago we had a similar thread
involving the use of different oils and such, including WD-40, on shells.
At the time I felt the use of WD-40 unwise and opted for the silicon or
standard mineral oil camps.  Also at that time I decided to go ahead and try
WD-40 on a few shells.  I have used it on hundreds since then and have yet
to see any discoloration or other ill effects.  After saying this, I also
have to say its use to help retain an intact periostracum does not seem to
work out.  It doesn't seem to leave an oily residue (I always wipe off the
excess after the initial application), but on a periostracum it seems to
soak in and vanish, leaving the perio to dry up and crack.  This makes some
sense as the WD in WD-40 stands for "water displacement."  So I stick with
glycerin for perios (if needed) and only use the WD-40 or mineral oil
(usually) for hard shell surfaces.  Even then, I only use oil when I need to
bring out colors for a photograph or help an abused shell from an old
collection.  Over 99% of my shells are left as is, with at most a bath in
soap (a few drops of a mild dish soap) and water in a jewelry cleaner for
the smaller ones and in the sink for the larger ones.  I think a highly
oiled shell is a bit of falseness, except in certain cases.  For instance, I
do have a Paryphanta and a couple of Natalina (land snails of the family
Rhytididae) that I keep heavily oiled.  These are shells with a perio that
is thicker than the shell and if allowed to dry it can shatter the shell (I
have the pieces as proof).  I know of people who have not had a problem, but
in my desert environment I can't take the chance.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA