Sender:
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 09:34:31 -0400
I didn't think I would be relevant , but now as i think it over (20 minute
pause for thought process) you're right Sir Robert. It's very interesting
that on two completely different list serves I.E. the finch-L and the
Conch-L are discussing such similar topics. Let me explain ; the finch
people are truly against letting species hybridize where conch people would
love to have or find them , could you imagine a cross between two of your
favorite species !! anyway the finch people believe that hybridizing is not
natural but i interjected that this is the basis of evolution (any
non-Darwin types please don't take offense) as all animal families had a
single (sometimes more then one but it's rare) common ancestor.
a good example of multibles would be in the canine family, the original
species is shared between the samoyed, the black retriever and a third of
which has slipped my mind at the moment, from these 3 all others have been
hybridized, a doberman pintzer has schnauzer as it's base.
As for what happened to your Cypraea eggs i would speculate only that
mothers eat there young for a few different reasons , mice females have been
known to eat young when the nusery is discovered by a preditor , she knows
it won't give up until it eats all in the nursery so the mothetr consumes
the babies to replenish her protien then finds a new place to raise another
brood.  mother squirrels attack the broods of nieghboring squirrels to
ensure her offsprings dominence and to replenish her own protien which is
lost to her own suckling infants. as cypraea are not carnivorous i'd guess
that it's a case of building her own protien levels up so as to lay another
clutch of eggs else where . just a guess. I would have loved to seen a diary
of your observations concerning the raising of cypraea in an aquarium
setting , all the best ,Mark & Peta  Bethke
Hollywood, Florida

 nurseriesyour cypraea mi