Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2009 17:17:05 -0500
8bit
From:
Bruce Neville <[log in to unmask]>
I've been looking into this one and am preparing a paper on the
nomenclatural legalities.  Opalia borealis is still nude in Carpenter
1864.  Carpenter provides a valid description in Annals and Magazine
of Natural History in 1865, from which the species should be cited, as
Opalia borealis Carpenter ex Gould 1865.  Scalaria borealis Lyell 1841
(not Beck, not 1839, not 1842) is from Transactions of the Geological
Society of London 2(6):135-141 and is also nude.  So far as I can
tell, borealis was never validated for the what-is-now-an-Acirsa
species, so the valid name should be Acirsa eschrichti (Holböll in
Möller 1842).

Bruce Neville
2700 Sandy Circle
College Station, TX 77845-5309