Sender:
From:
"Sarah R. Watson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 1998 17:10:02 EDT
> > Emilio Jorge Power wrote " Sample test question.  Can you differentiate
between parthenogenesis and cloning? Please support your answer."
< <

 Um  Yes!!!!!!! Oh you want a real answer ok'

Cloning is a news friendly term used by people who want to sound intelligent
in a conversation over rice cakes and humus. I was not actually consuming
these treats when I wrote that particular response but rather eating 5 day old
chinese takeout because I am to broke to actually go out and get something
edible.  Parthogenesis is a phenomenon demonstrated by organisims (here is a
little bit of BS to fill up the space.. you all did it  I know you all did it
and now its my turn) Parthogenesis is when Females of a certain species do not
need the exchange of gametes to reproduce. They are usually haploid organisms.
The egg simply begins the process of division with out the stimulation from a
sperm. The female gametes do NOT undergo meiosis. As with all gametes they are
exact replicas of the parents chromosomes. THis can have its dissadvantages
because there is no exchange of alleles and therefore all problems the parent
had the F1 generation will have unless there is some sort of random mutation
(do lizards watch tv?)
Cloning is when Human intervention removes the chromosomes in the nucleus of
an Egg and replaced with the diploid chromosomes from another cell other than
the gametes. Major dissadvantage because in ecological terms if everything is
Homogenous then suppose a specialized parasite/virus/bacterium/fungus comes in
and attacks the population. If everything is exact then all will die.
Diversity is the key because only a few will die (most of the time) leaving
the strongest to survive. I would suspect that Flying Pigs are just another
random mutation or the work of a special scientist that decided to splice
genes and mix the genes of a Bat and  a Pig.
 I will NOT go any further in the discussion of cloning. To me that topic is
extremely taboo and that comment was the result in an overload of MSG. I am
truely sorry for saying that vicious word. Now lets all go have some tang and
rice krispie squares and watch the pigs fly over the football field.

 Was that a 5 point or a ten point question. If it was less than 10 then I
spent tooo much time on it. Please pass the stoichiometry questions.

Sarah *non cloned* Watson (the world couldn't handle another one it can barely
take the only one!)

http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Tidepool/8845
oh yeah and you can sign my guestbook HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA .....J/K