Sender:
From:
Carlo Maccà <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 2009 16:26:50 +0100
This phenomenon is discussed by G. J. Vermeij at pages 32 to 35 of  A
Natural History of Shells (1993, recently reprinted) under the paragraph
title "Internal Remodeling"
In the Literature, he quotes:
Kohn, A.J., Myers, J.E.R., and V.R. Meenakshi, 1979, Interior remodeling of
the shell by a gastropod mollusc. Proceedings of the Nat. Acad: of Sci.,
U.S.A., 76: 3406-3410. "This is the most quantitative treatment of internal
shell resorption"
Signor, P.W., 1982, Growth-related surficial resorption of the penultimate
whorl in Terebra dimidiata (L. 1758) and other marine gastropods. Veliger
25: 79-82. "This is the most comprehensive paper of internal gastropod shell
resorption".
Solem, A., 1983, Lost or kept internal whorls: ordinal differences in land
snails, J. Molluscan studies, Suppl. 12A: 172-178. "Survey of resorption in
land snails".
You can also find some hints in Tursch & Greifeneder, Olive Shells.

Carlo