Sender:
From:
Tom Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 19:04:31 -0400
My name is Tom Ball, and although I joined the CONCHL list more than a year ago, I am just now doing the neighborly thing by sending a short introduction about myself. I live near Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, and I am a member of the Broward Shell Club (currently the program chairman). My main conchological interests are the Florida/Caribbean marine shells, where my collection is focused. Having collected Florida shells 20-30 years ago when I was a kid, books were the only way I could find to learn more about the hobby (I hadn't learned about shell clubs yet). After years of storage in the closet, I recently pulled out my collection and renewed my interest in shell collecting, and am amazed by how much information is available on the internet, for knowledge, research, and as a portal for purchasing shells. The shell club and COA conventions are very stimulating ways to learn and enjoy this hobby with others, and I very much enjoy and appreciate the depth and breadth of knowledge I have found here on CONCHL.

That brings me to my question(s). I am doing a little research on a Pacific deep water limpet - probably for an eventual shell show exhibit. The name is Pyropelta musaica, McLean, J.H. and Haszpurunar, G., 1987 (although I have found references to Pyropelta musica, McLean, J.H. & M.G. Harasewych, 1987 also, but I think that is incorrect). I believe the original description on this relatively new species was published in the  article  "Pyropeltidae, a new family of Cocculiniform limpets from hydrothermal vents", McLean, J. H. and Haszpurunar, G. 1987, published in the Veliger, 30(2), 196-205. I have found a black and white photo of the animal and shell online, and also found documentation that states that the holotype (and paratypes) are in the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County.

Does anyone have that Veliger article that can get me a copy? Can someone point me towards a color photo of the animal/shell? Does anyone have this shell for sale? Or that can I borrow to make a color photograph?

Thanks for any help.

Tom