Sender:
From:
STEVEN CROW <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 21:16:59 -0600
I will try to place some of the x-rays online for you, but it will probably
be next week before I have much time on my hands. I currently have a website
where there are CD-ROMs that contain many of the shells.
http://home.att.net/~crowmd
I have seen some work from others on the Internet and they are indeed quite
nice.
X-raying the shells is quite straightforward, but obviously you must have
access to an x-ray machine. The radiographs are best when they are shot for
high detail, much as you would if you were looking at the small bones of the
hand. The images are then reversed so that you get a "positive", as these
are usually more pleasing to look at. The films can be printed directly onto
paper as you would a contact sheet. In my case, the x-ray images were
actually scanned into Photoshop and cleared of dust marks. Then, a
photograph of each shell was also scanned in so that each shell would fade
into its x-ray.
Most of my work has been purely for aesthetics and plain old curiosity. I
have not attempted to represent all types of shells as some of them just do
not x-ray well (thick walls, etc.).
It has been fun, and I have been x-raying shells for over 25 years now.
Hopefully, this will answer some of the questions I have received from many
of you in the last 24 hours.

Regards,

Steven Crow, MD