Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:43:06 -0400
8bit
From:
"Frederick W. Schueler" <[log in to unmask]>
On 3/29/2012 9:45 AM, Paul Callomon wrote:

> http://clade.ansp.org/malacology/collections/search.php?search=advanced
>
> Look at the field titles and how the data has been broken out (genus,
> species, author, date, parentheses y/n, country, specific locality etc.
> etc.), then select a set of the fields you think you need most for your
> own collection. Interestingly, the most important fields (from a
> scientific point of view) are date of collection, place, ecology (“on
> rocks”, “in sand” etc.), and collector.

* and in "place" be sure to include geographic co-ordinates in decimal
degrees (5 decimal places, and in a modern map datum, such as WGS84 or
NAD83), with an indication of accuracy, or of the size of the area from
which the collection was drawn. This will make your data directly usable
by others in mapping and analysis, and if it's given as precisely as
possible, will make it useful in unanticipated ways. You can download
decimal degrees from a GPS unit, or find where you were in google maps,
right click, and then select "what's here" from the onscreen menu.

fred schueler.

--

fred
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad