Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2013 09:22:29 -0400
From:
Ed and Susan <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Thanks for your suggestions Sid.

Flat-bottomed sieves are really wonderful for sorting shell grit material
after the washing and drying of the material is all finished. There are
beautiful sets of paleontological sieves like that, with the various
different meshes, but they are extremely expensive. I have used kitchen
sieves to sort material by size in a similar way, and they worked fairly
well.

But I have never had any success trying to scoop up a very thin layer of
drift off of damp sand with a kitchen strainer, even a small one, because
strainers all have a rounded frame and usually a rather thick edge too.

I do like the idea of the rocks, the pillowcase, and the crow bar! However
on Sanibel I can only collect dead shells (it's the law).

But it's great to hear everyone's suggestions!