Sender:
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 17:25:57 +0000
    All the interesting messages about unusual finds in Florida reminded
me of some other species which are found in widely divergent areas  such
as Carolina and Japan (ice age to blame, perhaps- circumboreal  Boreal
spp pushed south, adapt to temperate conditions later, but are
expatraited from colder waters on the Atlantic side, but remain in the
Pacific, leaving a disjunct distribution for the spp in question).  The
most unusual disjunction (is this allowable terminology?) is an
Epitoniid whose name excapes me (Art- help!)- it occurs in New Zealand
and Florida, but NOT in-between!!  Weaving a plausible narrative to
explain this one has proved beyond my ability- any ideas??  (Also, any
other odd distributions of molluscs would make VERY interesting reading
(for me, at least!!))

-Ross M.
P.S. :  I once recieved two lovely Cyphoma from a friend who ventured
over to the Phillipines.  They were labelled "Negros Is, tangle net at
35 fathoms" (no mention of Sea Fans!!).  It turns out that some
Philipinos trade for colorful shells from other parts of the world,  and
sometimes either get them confused with local material- or try to make a
few extra dollars from not-too-knowledgeable Americano Touristas!!