Sender:
From:
Scott E Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 19:43:31 -0800
I recently went to Phuket where I did a lot of diving and some shelling.
The diving is great but you have to time your activities according to the
monsoons, which part of the year blow from the east and then from the west.

My best shelling was buying from desperate dealers, who sold gem local
shells for 10% of Western dealer prices.  They are pretty hard up for money.
My guess is that if you had the time to seek out fishermen, you would pay 2%
of Western prices.  I did collect 40 or fifty species, but I wouldn't
characterize the shelling as fantastic.  It is a wonderful place to visit,
so much to see and do.  The Phuket shell museum is very nice, indeed as nice
as the Museum at Sanibel.  And the food is undescribably delicious.

Regards,

Scott Jordan