Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2014 16:55:11 -0500
7bit
I'm not a linguist, so I can't provide a direct answer to your question.  But it occurs to me that there are a lot of other names pronounced with the soft "c" sound, either in initial position or elsewhere in the word, such as Cymatiidae, Buccinidae, Naticidae, Muricidae, Glycymerididae, Lucinidae, Hipponicidae, cylindrica, foliacea, laciniatus, lanceolatus, mancinella, sarcinosa, sericina, urceus, etc.

Paul M.