Sender:
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 01:09:24 +0000
    There are 2 componants to the defense of Conchology: education and
political "involvement" of one kind or another.  The former is a
continuous process and involves making the public in general, and
conservation groups in particular, aware of just what Conchology
involves, how it is useful to science, and that it is usually quite
harmless to species populations.  This is a good job for local clubs,
although the COA could perhaps more effectively reach some of the larger
conservation organizations such as the Sierra Club.  Also, we  could
point out the true causes of population decline, not as individuals, but
as groups, clubs and organizations associated with Conchology, hence
drawing fire away from collecting and towards reality.  The second
componant is "involvement" in the political process on various levels
and in diverse ways, and is episodic, being useful primarily when bills
or regulations are being considered which target or affect collecting
either on a primary or secondary basis.  "Lobbying"- the use of layers
and people with things to bribe lawmakers with (loot, favorable
publicity, "other"...), is probably unfeasible for us, given our small
numbers.  However, well-researched presentations at public meetings,
good letter-writing campaigns, creative and/or eloquent use of the media
(columns, letters, protests, high-profile call-in radio programs,
arcticles, interviews or progams on public radio or TV...), personal
conversations with "friends in high places"- the list is long.  It
should be done on an organized basis, and wherever possible, involve
lots of input , support and scientific back-up from elsewhere in the
country, continent, or world- if a couple of collectors try to go it
alone, they risk being dismissed as unimportant.  Also, it is important
to become involved as early in the process as possible, to change
peoples' perspectives BEFORE their minds are made up and they are just
going through the motions of prtending to listen!!
    We do NOT have to stand helplessly by, but it will take effort and
commitment to have any influence or success in "rolling back the tide"
of misinformed decisions which restrict our scientifically useful, quite
valid and virtually harmless pursuits.

-Ross M.