Sender:
From:
"Andrew K. Rindsberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 10:10:58 -0600
Patty Jansen wrote,
"One thing I  haven't heard in this discussion, is for collectors to
volunteer in a museum to curate their own collection. Then at least,
everyone knows what those cryptic labels mean."

One example that comes to mind is Bryan Cooney, a Texas bandmaster and
fossil collector who retired, moved to Colorado, and volunteered to work on
the collections of the Department of Geology at the Colorado School of
Mines. After a couple of years, they valued his services so well that he
was hired as a part-time Assistant Curator. He hasn't stopped collecting (I
hosted him on an Alabama collecting trip awhile back), but the specimens go
directly into the Mines collections these days.

But I think Patty's right. Most people tend to hang onto their collections
until it's too late.

Incidentally, I don't see anything wrong with private collectors selling
their collections. I do think that museums are the best place for unique
material, especially type specimens.

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama