Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2017 03:27:32 -0500
Subject:
Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Wolfgang Wranik <[log in to unmask]>
Dear Members,

I am looking for help in case of Haminoea solitaria.  It is a new "alien" in our German coastal waters (confirmed by DNA). Specimens were found in shallow water (about 1 m depth) in the Baltic, which is a brackish water sea (salinity 10 to 15 only). There was also an intensive reproduction by forming egg balls. I received already support from Marlo, Steve and some others, and I was also searching in the web for additional information. Results so far: range from Canada to Florida, depth mainly 0-30m, but in one case also 735m, temperature range 5.4-24.1°C, salinty 32-36 (!!). Very informative is also the paper of Smallwood, W. M. (1904). "Natural history of Haminoea solitaria Say." The American Naturalist 38(447): 207-225.

It would be important and helpful for us to get more information (such as details on distribution and habitat conditions, salinity range (!!) and other field data, but also additional literature).

Yours

Wolfgang