Sender:
From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 19:52:00 -0500
Let's see, Tom and Art,

We'll start right out with the problem and move on to the fun. How will we
get this tied in with shells?  Got it!  The 1999 COA Convention is going to
be held in Louisville, KY in the last week in June at the Galt House Hotel
on the Ohio River.  And at that convention, we can give you directions to
this location and many others as well.  Perhaps while you're here, you can
go collect some land and freshwater shells. And fossil mollusks too. KY is
rich in all three.  Think how great odd place names will look on your
labels!  OK. Ad over.

Art, the Louisville Folks do indeed know of Rabbit Hash.  Kentucky is rich
in such obscure and charmingly named little population centers, and the
Scheus love to visit them and wonder what brought on the naming of them.
Beauty (but no Beast) , Belfry (without the Bats), Premium, Stamping
Ground, Hootentown, Pinchem, Lucky Stop, Fancy Farm, Peeled Oak, Waddy,
Viper, Frogtown,  Summer Shade, Jonancy, Good Night, Billy Goat, Barren and
Little Barren, (why did they settle there?) Pumpkin Chapel, Salt Lick,
Paint Lick and any number of other towns terminating in Lick, Gamaliel,
Premium, and Gravel Switch.  And a host of others. Who would want to miss
visiting the hospitable but eccentric town of Cranks, KY?  I mustn't forget
my own favorite town name, Mousie. And last of mention is the incomparable
Nonesuch!

With such an abundance of picturesqueness, wouldn't you think  the Town
Namers could have afforded living room for one town named for a mollusk?  I
don't think so. But I'll check the de Lorme atlas listing.

And Tom, in addition to Toad Suck Holler in Arkansas, I can verify that
there is another Arkansas Holler of Fame, Booger Holler. Young sons coerced
us to stop there so they could have their pictures taken in front of the
sign commemorating its existence. Don't ask me how they posed.

Lynn Scheu
Louisville, KY
Home of the 1999 COA Convention
"Come Home To Kentucky"