Sender:
From:
Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 20:38:13 -0700
Emilio,

First of all, I apologize for answering the urban legend deal on the list.  I hit
the button without looking at what was really happening.  Mea culpa.

Every police department checked as said, "No such thing."  This started in 1990
and continues to pop up every now and then.  There is a web site that tracks
these things and they list the headlight deal along with the other urban
legends.  It is always someone who says someone they know who knows someone who
had an aunt who's son was involved, etc...never direct.  When they checked with
the city supposedly involved, the answer was always, "no."  Of course it could
become real any day as we keep flashing it around the net every 6 months or so.
Check out this web site for a complete story on this and other urban legends,
http://urbanlegends.miningco.com/library/blbyol16.htm

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA

Now if someone starts one that says a famous guy is getting rid of his shell
collection and will send shells to the first 1,000 people who call, then I'll be
dialing.  I'll know I'm a sucker, but I'll take some chances for shells that
money would never drive me to.  And speaking of shells, I just saw an image of a
beautiful and quite large Conus striatus from Bill Frank of the Jacksonville
club.  This monster is 124mm, a respectable size in anybody's book.  And I hope
this gets me off the hook.