Sender:
From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 11:58:04 -0500
With apologies to those that I have already discussed this with, what do
you folks know about the recent "crackdown" on shell collecting in Mexico?
I have heard various versions including one that says even dead shells
cannot be taken.

I was planning a trip in May to LaPaz to scuba and (hopefully) swim with a
whale shark or two. I do know that dive boats have always discouraged the
taking of live shells (though I've seen divers take horse conchs and not
have anyone ask more than once if they won't please put it back), but I do
pick up anything dead that I see (like a nice Lion's Paw last trip). Also,
what about all the tourist shops that sell shells? If I buy some and put
them in my suitcase, am I breaking a law here? Gee, I don't think Mexico is
a place I'd want to be arrested ("Midnight Express" is running through my
head even now) -- Then again, I don't want to be arrested anywhere. Last
September, we brought back about a dozen shells and nobody seemed to have a
problem -- at least they weren't on the list of things you have to declare
when leaving the country (like live animals or fruit).

I'd appreciate any information. Might have to change my vacation
destination depending upon what you folks tell me. I'll bet Peggy Williams
knows . . .

Best regards all, and thanks for all the info already. It's been invaluable.
Jim Miller
Tallahassee, Florida