Sender:
From:
"Harry G. Lee, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 18:26:52 -0500
Sergio,

The description, originally published in a pamphlet called a livraison,
found its way to Kiener, L. C. 1835-1836.  Spécies général et iconographie
des coquilles vivantes Vol. 8.

I see it on plate 9, fig 25 (two images), text on pp. 29-30.  It was
described as a Purpura and from an unknown habitat (locality).

A marvelous source of citations for original descriptions of tropical
western Atlantic marine mollusks is:

Vokes, H. E. and E. H. Vokes, 1984.  Distribution of shallow-water marine
mollusca, Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico. Mesoamerican Ecological Institute,
Monograph 1, Middle American Research Institute, Publication 54
(1983):i-viii, pp. 1-183, pls. 1-50.

Harry

At 03:25 PM 2/15/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Sergio,
>
>Engina turbinella (Kiener, 1835)
>

>At 04:19 PM 2/15/99 -0100, you wrote:
>>Hello
>>
>>I have found out some specimens of Engina turbinella in the Azores.
>>This species was described by Kiener.
>>I needed to know the year of the description and also if the name is still
>>the same.
>>If possible, I would like to know where was it published.
>>
>>Thank you.
>>
>>Dr. Sergio Avila
>>Departament of Biology
>>Marine Biology Section
>>University of the Azores
>>9500 Ponta Delgada
>>AZORES
>>PORTUGAL
>>http://www.uac.pt/db/bmarinha/sa/molazores.html

>Jose H. Leal, Ph.D.
>Director, The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum
>Editor-in-chief, THE NAUTILUS
>http://www.uwp.edu/academic/biology/bmsm/bm_shell.htm
>3075 Sanibel-Captiva Road
>Sanibel, FL 33957 USA
>(941) 395-2233; fax (941) 395-6706

Harry G. Lee
mailto:[log in to unmask]
Suite 500, 1801 Barrs Street
Jacksonville, FL  32204
U. S. A.    904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm