Sender:
From:
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 11:43:57 -0700
> avrilb wrote:
>
> Good morning Conch-lers,
>
> Query,  Has anyone ever tried setting up a depository of shells and
> related materials similar in style to that of a library, that is
> available for the use of their immediate and surrounding communities?

I know you asked for a private response but this is a fairly important
issue and I think we all need to be aware of ways of educating or
helping others in educating our young.  Most museums are seen by the
public as a place where they can go and see specimens behind glass.  As
for the stuff in the back room in boxes and shelves, too bad -- you are
just out of luck.  Actually touching and examining things is assumed to
be limited to a few obscure scientists and not available to amateurs. I
know many of you realise differently; that often a simple request to see
a collection is met with not only an agreement but help with whatever
your questions may be.  So what?  Well, at the Albuquerque Museum of
Natural History there are cabinets full of their shell collection (no
display yet -- we are slowly working on that) and there are another
couple of cabinets with shells people can dig through without anyone
worrying about messing up a type specimen or damaging a super rare
shell.  These shells are also used by docents and teachers to hold
hands-on classes for kids in a special area of the museum.

Our local shell club has given shells toward this effort (with help from
John Bernard and Paul Monfils -- thanks again to both of you).  So this
is our central repository.  Maybe not the best answer, but certainly
better than nothing.  I think the best would be a supply of shells for
each science teacher plus some related ciriculum material.
Unfortunately this is way beyond the scope of our small shell group here
in landlocked New Mexico.  So we do what we can.

Tom Eichhorst in New mexico, USA