Sender:
From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 11:42:42 -0500
>Speaking of the COA auction, who is the auction chairperson this time
>around?  I haven't seen anything yet by way of soliciting donations,
>or instructions on where to send donations.
>Paul M.
>Rhode island, U.S.A.

Gee Paul, thanks for the opening! Since I am housebound with the winter
crud, I will take advantage of it.

Linda Brunner (COA President) and Jim Brunner are the COA Auction Chairs.
They are  readying and managing the Bid Auction and the Silent Auctions,
with Charlotte Lloyd and company handling the Silent Auctions during the
convention.

All you folks who want to donate to the COA Auction should send your
donations to Linda and Jim as soon as possible...getting this material
ready and listed is a monumental job! (I am acquiring a better appreciation
for it after Gene Everson and I have worked part way through a lot of
shells from an old collection I was given for COA) The Brunners' address is
P.O. Bob 8188, Southport, FL 32409-8188. Email is [log in to unmask] Phone
is (850)265-5557.

We need all kinds of material, including door prizes of shell-related
stuff, etc, and shells for the bid auction. Come through for this,
everyone, because it is the main funding for the COA grants program to
malacologists and malacological students. It also helps keep the
organization solvent. (Many of you may not ralize that a membership really
only pays for your subscription to American Conchologist.)

Gary Rosenberg, could you tell them more about the Grants program?

For those who are not familiar with the COA Auctions, we have one big bid
auction of rarer shells, literature and other shellabilia like Gary's
mother's fabulous shell quilts, and this year a wooden Celtic harp (musical
variety) with shell veneer that one of Conch-L's own is creating for us!
More later...I want to get a picture of it posted online when it is
complete.  Anyway, it will be special stuff.

And then we have silent auctions that will be running at the back of the
meeting room throughout the sessions. (Except during lights out for
programs, of course!) Planning is for 12 tables that will be renewed
several times daily. The shells for these auctions are the best I have ever
seen to date! All are donations. Participate if you possibly can!

Follow all that with the world famous COA Shell Dealers' Bourse ( One Giant
Glittery Candy Store is what I always think of!) and you have a shell dream
come true! I am having  blast just playing with some of the material.
Inagine owning it!

The American Conchologist will be going out at the end of this week and it
will contain the registration forms for the convention. If you are not a
member but want to participate this year, write to Gene Everson at 500
Nottingham Parkway, Louisville, KY 40027 or phone him at 502/429-5788 and
ask for a registration form. (Oh, all right, you can email him care of me
and I will phone your request to him.) I hope to get a registration form
online soon also and will let you know. (If you are a member and don't get
your magazine right away, stay calm. They are sometimes slow to move to
some parts of the country, if you get them via bulk mail.)

End of commercial!

Lynn Scheu
Louisville, KY
Home of the 1999 COA Convention
Birthplace and Burial Site of Walter Sage
Home of the Hillerich and Bradsby Giant Bat (Louisville Slugger variety)
Home of the Collection of SuperSheller Gene Everson (Gene lives here too.)
Just 90 miles from Porcopolis (Cincinnati), Home of the Flying Pigs and Art
Weil as well!
Home of American Conchologist
Home of the Belle of Louisville Paddleboat
etc. etc.