Sender:
From:
Ed Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 13:23:03 -0500
At 08:02 AM 3/3/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Tim wrote:
>>
>> I know this may seem a little off normal guidelines but
>> just wanted to remind everyone about tomorrow.  Barbara
>> Walters Special with guess who (Monica Lewinski).
>>
>> Anyways, to get back on subject.  Is anyone out there
>> familiar with background on Sea Horses or Cone Snails?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tim

>Way off base and totally inappropriate. There might be other listservs
>where this is welcomed but I don't think this is one of them. I can't
>speak for everyone but I doubt there is much interest for this type of
>journalistic trash (just my opinion), within our ranks.

I agree with you, not because it's journalistic trash (which it is), but
because it's OFF-TOPIC.  This is a concept that seems to have escaped a lot
of posters to this mailing list.  The list should be limited to things
malacological, not flying pigs, not virus alerts (virtually all of which
are hoaxes), not the "great" joke you just heard and can't wait to share,
and not various other bits of off-topic trivia I've seen posted here.
People who want to discuss such things should find more appropriate mailing
lists to discuss them and keep this list on-topic, or carry it on as a
private email exchange between themselves.  We've lost at least one person,
who publically unsubscribed after getting fed up with the amount of drek he
had to sort through to find on-topic posts, and who knows how many others
may have silently given up because of the low signal to noise ratio in this
list.  A mailing list that experiences as many off-topic posts as this one
has, loses usefullness.  Let's see if we can  get this list back on topic
and keep it there.

>I don't mean to
>flame but I guess I am just so tired of this and I thought I had a
>refuge here amongst the shellers.

Thanks for saying it, it needed to be said.