Sender:
From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 01:17:49 -0500
Dear all,

Let's talk about some shells. Specifically, a species of Pecten: Argopecten
circularis, now called (just to confuse me) ventricosus. First of all,
anyone know why the name change? Or why nodosus is now fragosus?

Any way, all my books say A. ventricosus is common, even abundant. So how
come it's so darned hard to get colorful specimens? When I was in Baja last
year, they were at the airport in big baskets: Oranges mainly, but some
purples and yellows and even a few that looked nearly red. I thought, well,
why add to my luggage, I'll get some in the states.

Well, I did get some specimens (some nice ones), but they were almost all
the light to dark pink, some with an almost black (more a dark gray) top
(though I got a nice orange one and a mottled purple one as part of a trade
with one of the really nice people out there who are dealers -- he knows
who he is). Are dealers just not stocking them because they feel they are
too common? Or are they indeed hard to get out of Mexico and other Central
American countries. Or is it lack of interest from buyers?

Same with Argopecten purpuratus. I've seen absolutely stunning singles at
the "gift shop"-style shell shops (some of the valves are huge! I'd say at
least 5 inches!), but have yet to see any dealer with more than one or two
50-60mm specimens. Here's another locally abundant shell that's hard to
find.

Anyone out there know why this is? I do know that when I go back to Baja,
I'm heading for the big baskets of ventricosus right away!

Just thought I'd throw this open for discussion if anyone wants to give it
a go. Or feel free to ignore this, particularly since it's so darn late any
way (1:10 AM by my clock).

Again, thanks all for past feedback, advice, information and just plain for
being so nice to me. Being on Conch-L is sort of like having Christmas all
year.

Best regards,
Jim

Jim Miller