Sender:
From:
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 09:17:28 -0700
Paul,

I tried the fish oil with the cone.  Held my finger in front of a tulip
cone shell (Conus tulipa) while wiggling it for hours.  Nothing happen.
I know this is a good cone shell as it has been in my collection for
over 35 years.  Do you think I needed fresher fish oil?

As for the DNA stuff, I do not have a lot of faith in it as the end all
of diagnostic analysis of species.  What I have faith in is that we do
not have all of the answers and there will be changes.  I see the DNA
business as providing these changes tomorrow -- who knows what will
happen the day after, except more changes.  Science seems to me to be
like the proverbial evolutionary tree of life; lots of branches, splits,
and dead ends.

Well, this afternoon I will try Conus textile.  I have a couple in my
cabinet.  Maybe they will feel more adventuresome if there are two of
them.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA