Sender:
From:
"Kim C. Hutsell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 10:52:46 -0800
Dear Jim,

When Tom Waller examined the holotype of circularis Reeve, 1853, in the
British Museum, he dicovered that it was actually a specimen of gibbus.
In light of this, the eastern Pacific species we've all come to know as
circularis reverted to ventricosus, an earlier name assigned by Sowerby
in 1842.

As for the availability, the problem of obtaining premium specimens of
ventricosus is the same as with other commercially fished species.
Single valves are available by the metric ton, but finding good specimens
in pairs that haven't been damaged by the fisherman's knife can be
difficult. In order to get a good supply of specimens, the dealer almost
has to be there when the boats come in...or go diving in the scallop
beds. It's extremely difficult to communicate to the fisherman in Baja
exactly what it is you want and why.  Even when it appears they
understand and agree to save specimens for you, when the time comes, it
just isn't important enough to them to follow through. They want to sell
shells by the kilo, not by the piece. If you tell them you want the best
colors, you get whatever they bring, regardless of color or condition. If
you stress best condition, you may get good condition, but not premium
colors. For the most part, they simply aren't interested in supplying
specimens...there's no real money in it. Any outstanding colors or
patterns which happen to reach Southern California usually stay here in
someone's private collection. (At least, that's true of what goes through
my hands.) I'm sure that's true of other species from other areas, as
well.  The best of what's available never leaves the area.
Mega-dealers here, like Don Pisor and Joe Bibbey, buy enormous
quantities of ventricosus, mostly halves for the commercial market. As
soon as word of a new shipment get's around, collectors here descend on
their warehouses and grab up the best specimens (if there are any), for
their own collections and for trade with other collectors.  For the most
part, the only time premium specimens show up elsewhere is when dealers
sell to other dealers to sell at COA or other shows...and for the
occasional mail order list.

I'm sure some of the major dealers in Florida still have connections with
Mexican suppliers and get good specimens of ventricosus now and then. You
might try Al Deynzer of Larry Strange.

I received some outstanding specimens of Pecten maxima and opercularis
from a friend, but the only way he was able to get them was to acually go
to the scallop fishery and 'rescue' the specimens before 'shucking'. The
same goes for ventricosus...you have to be there at the right time.

It's as difficult (maybe even more difficult) for me to get premium
specimens of gibbus as it is for Florida collectors to get ventricosus,
so if you know anyone who's up for a trade, I'd like to know about it.

Best Regards,

Kim Hutsell
San Diego