Sender:
From:
Scott E Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 05:02:51 -0800
Hah!  Paul said "a full, original set of Conchologica Iconica went for the
equivalent of 2000 dollars thirty years ago; think five times that now" I
will give you that for a complete set of the Iconica in a hot minute.  Try
$25,000 minimum for a decent set.  Paul is dead right, antiquarian natural
history books dealing with conchology are the closest thing to a great
investment as there gets in the shell world.  The supply is decreasing
because the finite number printed are disappearing due to the hated
"breakers", who buy these books at auction and tear them apart for the
hand-colored prints, which they mount and frame and sell to interior
decorators doing big hotels and the like.

To give you a sense of the economics here, one can purchase a copy of
deKay's "Mollusca of New York" for a couple hundred bucks (even less if you
get lucky).  It contains 40 hand-colored prints.  While at Kauai recently, I
visited an antique print shop that was selling these "authentic 19th
century" unmounted plates of deKay for $155 each!  Do the math, a pretty
nice mark-up.

But don't get me wrong, shell books can be expensive.  A european
antiquarian book dealer offered me recently one of the two known colored
copies of Rumph's D'Amboinsche Rariteitkamer for a cool quarter of a million
dollars.

Scott Jordan