Sender:
From:
G Thomas Watters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 07:57:25 -0500
Here's another one of those "stupid people & otter" stories that are so
popular these days.

The Columbus [Ohio] Zoo (remember Jack Hanna?) opened a wetland exhibit
with 'cut-away' kettle lakes and marshes - really well done. Across the
walkway was the otter exhibit. I was asked to supply freshwater mussels to
the wetland ponds. After a time, the mussels began to vanish from the pond
and miraculously appear in the otter tank. People (and I use the term
loosely) were fishing out the mussels from the pond and throwing them in
the otter tank to see if the otters would eat them. Other mussels,
particularly the really neat ones like Tritogonia, simply disappeared,
apparently as living souveniers. I hear they taste like chicken.

 G Thomas Watters
 Ohio Biological Survey &
 Aquatic Ecology Laboratory
 Ohio State University
 1315 Kinnear Road
 Columbus, OH 43212 USA
 v: 614-292-6170  f: 614-292-0181

"The world is my oyster except for months with an 'R' in them" - Firesign
Theater