Sender:
From:
Kris White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:38:42 EST
I just wanted to add my 2 cents about children and collecting.
I began collecting at an early age, but I believe my parents tossed most of my
finds due to the odor that came with them. It wasn't till  I was older that
they let me keep much of anything. I am still very much an amateur at
collecting and identification but learning in my old age. This list has helped
a great deal.
I have a ten year old daughter who has been collecting with me since she was
three. This was always our special time at the beach together. She does not
know the Latin names, nor I, of many of the shells but is familiar with the
common names (NE species.) I have taken her to The Boston Mal club meeting in
the past and she enjoyed them most of the time. (The hour was late so she
faded.) I remember one summer, not being able to go to the beach with her and
her dad, she thoughtfully brought me back some shells and noted that she only
chose bivalves with both halves.
I now have twin 4 1/2 yr. old boys.  When they were babies, any outings I
attended were done solo, (once hubby got brave enough to watch them alone). I
have taken them with me for the past 2 1/2 years to local areas collecting,
this makes for interesting collecting trips, geesh!  At this age(4) they are
interested and full of questions. It is fun to share what I do know with them.
It is also fun listening to them discuss their finds on the way home, as only
4 yr. olds can do.  I am hoping a least one of the two, or three will hold on
to this interest as they get older. I believe the point was made earlier to
have the child develop the interest early, though they may set it aside during
those "trying" years they will pick it back up later.

Kris-New Jersey
<><

Ps: We limit TV and do not own any video games, held out for the past 8 years!