Sender:
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:36:56 -0600
7bit
From:
Ken Zentzis <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Mary,

I've been using FileMaker2 (cheap!) on my Mac for my collection database, and
I really like it. You can design any number of layouts with darn near as many
"fields" as you like, (wherever you want to put then in the layout), and only
need to enter the data once. The program will automatically fill whatever
fields you duplicate in any other layout.

For example, I constructed a "Master Page" in which to enter every available
scrap of info on a specimen. It consists of about 40 fields and takes up a
whole page. Not every shell will have sufficient info to fill every field, but
having so many fields available is a great aid in sorting for specific
information ( more on sorting later). I also use several variations of a
simple list. One which tells me all the shells (by name only) in my collection
arranged phyllogenetically with supraspecific headers. This helps when
perusing dealer and trade lists!  Another gives me a list of every shell in my
collection which includes genus, species, ssp., form, and basic locality data.
The layout I use depends on the type of info I need at the time.

The advantage of using so many fields, is that you can sort by any one, or
combination of them (with FileMaker, records are stored in the order created,
and do not sort automatically). But sorting is a breeze. I use a lowly Quadra
650 and sorting my entire entered collection (about 800 records so far)takes
just a few seconds. Since every discrete piece of data is a seperate entity
(in a field), you can pick and choose which to sort by. If I want to find all
shells purchased from a particular dealer; Achatina between 70 and 100mm;
shells traded for; all self-collected shells, etc, I just enterthe pertinent
fields as sort criteria and voila! There it all is, sorted by whatever
hierarchy I choose.

Another thing I like about FileMaker is that it automatically saves data. No
need to worry about losing a couple hour's work for lack of hitting the save
button before shutting down.

I also included an image field to import pictures into my master page...nice
thought, but with my system, it slows things down tremendously waiting for
Photoshop to open the images as I browse the records. Perhaps the 450 G-3 is
what I need...dream on!

Feel free to contact me privately if you have questions or need more info. I
happen to live with a Mac guru possessing extensive knowledge of FileMaker...

Ken Zentzis
Wichita Kansas