Sender:
From:
"Thomas A. Burch" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 07:50:37 -1000
At 05:44 AM 3/26/99 , Helmut Nisters wrote:
>Dear conchlers
>
>I am using dbaseIV 1,1 on dos. It's an quite old program but very
>very useful and I like it very much. I just have listed about 2400
>species and subspecies in about 23 000 datas.
>I use the following fields: (here with different examples)
>You can make many indices to order the shells or entrances after
>different points. I like this program really.
>
>with best regards
>Helmut from Innsbruck

        I have been using dBASE since the early 1980s when I used dBASE II and
all the versions since.  I now use Visual dBASE 5.5 with Windows 95.
Fortunately all are backwards compatible back to dBASE III and they had an
excellent program to convert dBASE II to dBASE III.  This means that any files
I prepared with any version of dBASE I've used during the past twenty years
can
still be used by the latest version.   There are very very few programs of any
nature that will do that.  A problem for many people is that you have to
program it to do what you want.  They now include a "Report Writer" which does
it for you, but I prefer my own.
        However, even though I'm using Windows95, I still have dBASE IV in the
DOS part of Windows 95 and frequently use it.  I prefer the old tried and true
instead of the new  ones with all their fancy extras.
                        Aloha,   Tom Burch
--
Thomas A. Burch and Beatrice L. Burch
P.O. Box 309, Kailua, Hawaii, USA 96734