Sender:
From:
"Carole P. Marshall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 09:02:11 EST

>Henk Dekker (a world expert on the Pectinidae) and most recent authors
>use Mimachlamys as a full genus, a usage to which I agree.

Kevin and all,
  The gentleman's name is Henk Dijkstra and he does monitor conch-l or at
least did. I also agree that the name Mimachlamys has full genus status. As to
the particular species, well, that is another story. I believe Henk Dijkstra
has a paper in progress, (long needed) as the the designations of the
Mimachlamys complex. There are many many species and without seeing the types
it is almost impossible to distinguish them from one another.
  However, if you are showing in a shell show, use Mimachlamys if you wish or
use Chlamys and reference your name. Most judges wouldn't know the difference
anyway, it is only us nitpicking students of the Pectinoidea who care.
                    Carole Marshall