Sender:
From:
"Paul R. Monfils" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 16:01:31 EST
Hi Nora,
I don't have your original e-mail any longer, but if I recall correctly you
said your mussel shell had a brown periostracum over a white shell.  That
would suggest a species of Modiolus, rather than Mytilus (same family though).
There are numerous species, and some can be difficult to separate, especially
if you don't know where your shell came from.
Paul M.