Sender:
From:
Lindsey Groves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:09:38 -0800
Michael:

        Greetings.  The cypraeids teuleri and mus are both in the subfamily
Bernayinae, in which the oldest groups of cowries are found as well.
However they are in separate genera as follows: Barycypraea teuleri and
Muracypraea mus based on radular and anatomical differences. Many
professional and amateur cypraeologists now subscribe to the multiple genera
classification scheme for the cypraeids (a la the Schilders [1971] & Lorenz
& Hubert [1993]), or choose to use the genera as subgenera.  Trona
stercoraria is in another subfamily altogether: namely Cypraeinae, a much
younger group paleontologically as well.  The genus Trona first appeared in
the late Oligocene (approx 29-30 million years before present) of Europe and
Muracypraea first appeared in the early Miocene (approx. 21-22 mybp) in the
Caribbean.  A possible Trona ancestor (the extinct genus Fossacypraea) may
have split from the Bernayinae as early as the middle Eocene (approx. 41-42
mybp) in Europe, whereas the Bernayinae have a lineage back to the Late
Jurassic (approx. 140-145 mybp).  So the lineage that mus is a part of was
established long before the stercoraria lineage and are therefore, certainly
related but distantly.  See fig. 53 (p. 29) of Lorenz & Hubert (1993) "A
hypothetical family tree of cowries" for an overview.  Questions? Let me know.

Aloha,

Lindsey T. Groves

At 01:12 PM 3/29/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Robert & Betty Lipe wrote:
>
>> Dear Michael,  Have you seen quite a few of the two species?  I have
>> seen many of each and I see more differences than similarities.  I am
>> curious as to how much experience you have had with these species?
>
>Over the past twenty years or so, I have seen and handled many dozens of
>specimens of each.  I was impressed when series of Cypraea stercoraria
>began to be offered in many color forms and sizes, in the mid 70's I
>believe, and I have always loved this particular cowry.
>
>Regarding Cypraea mus: I have seen quite a bit of variability in the
>shells of this species and I always appreciate the fact that the markings
>and glaze of the adult shells are so strikingly similar, in many ways, to
>those on adult Cypraea teulerei (I am looking at one of each right now and
>side by side they visually imply a strong kinship).  It is interesting
>that these two species, C. mus and C. teulerei, are oceans apart and
>restricted in their respective territories, which makes me regard several
>of my C. mus samples with suspicion on the C. stercoraria influence.
>"Pigmy" forms of C. stercoraria, when placed side by side with my C. mus,
>summon suspicions very strongly.  If we disregard the teeth, which we
>certainly do when we compare C. mus and C. teulerei, there is a lot left
>to make a link.
>
>I only believe that C. mus is genetically capable, for what ever reason of
>historical kinsmanship, of exhibiting morphological traits of both C.
>teulerei and C. stercoraria, and that I would not be surprised if future
>study of the animals reveals a much stronger, common, genetic heritage.
>
>Thank you to all who responded; it was very helpful for me to think out
>loud about this with you.
>
>Respectfully,
>
>Michael G. LaFosse
>www.origamido.com
>
>> Since I do sell shells, I have many pass through my hands.  I first
>> started in the shell business after a trip to West Africa in the
>> seventies in which I bought a lot of shells, and many of them were Cy.
>> Stercoraria.  I brought back a lot of shells, so I went into business.
>> I think mus, teulerei, and fultoni look very similar.  That's my 2
>> cents.
>>
>> Bob Lipe
>>
>> www.theshellstore.com
>> The Shell Store
>> 348 Corey Ave
>> (727) 360-0586 Fax (727)360-3668
>

><HTML>
>&nbsp;
>
><P>Robert &amp; Betty Lipe wrote:
><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Dear Michael,&nbsp; Have you seen quite a few of
>the two species?&nbsp; I have
><BR>seen many of each and I see more differences than similarities.&nbsp;
>I am
><BR>curious as to how much experience you have had with these
species?</BLOCKQUOTE>
>Over the past twenty years or so, I have seen and handled many dozens of
> [...]

Lindsey T. Groves
Collection Manager Malacology/Invert. Paleo.
900 Exposition Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90007
Voice: (213) 763-3376 (Mal) 744-3485 (IP)
Fax: (213) 746-2999/7646
e-Mail: [log in to unmask]