Sender:
From:
Douglas Nolen Shelton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 17:11:56 EST
Kurt,
        Actually, only an Alabamian could plagiarize such a story.  A few
years ago, Bob Howells wrote about a man-eating freshwater mussel that had
been discovered in Texas.  He also called his species apriliauno and
published it in his monthly newsletter at the time (date April 1, 1995)
{uncertain of the year}.  Anyway, some recipients of the newsletter did not
get the joke and inquired about obtaining specimens.  So, my little April
Fool's joke was inspired by Bob.  I just dressed it up a little (OK, a lot)
to fit the audience of CONCH-L.  By the way, I tried to leave my redneck ways
behind when I left the farm, but after a good long days shelling you can
still sometimes see me filling my Coca-Cola with peanuts.  The more things
change, the more they stay the same.

Doug Shelton
Alabama Malacological Research Center
2370-G Hillcrest Road #236