Sender:
From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:48:30 -0400
>The case seems a bit complicated:
>The name was "validly" introduced, i.e. according to the ICZN regulations.
>Moreover, the specific epiteth "lucifer" seems to have page priority over
>"gigas". That would mean strictly applying the ICZN code, would make gigas
>a junior synonym of lucifer.
>However, as gigas is an extremely well established name, the name lucifer
>ought to be suppressed by the ICZN. I reckon that if someone would petition
>the ICZN, that they would rule is such a way.

There is a principle of first reviewer in the case of the same species
described more than once in the same publication that allows a choice of
names.  For example, if one name was based on an atypical specimen
(juvenile, damaged, mutant, etc.), then the reviewer might select a name
that is behind as far as page priority.  I do not know whether this has
been clearly applied to S. gigas, though.

David Campbell

"Old Seashells"

Department of Geological Sciences
CB 3315 Mitchell Hall
Chapel Hill NC 27599-3315
USA

919-962-0685
FAX 919-966-4519

"He had discovered an unknown bivalve, forming a new genus"-E. A. Poe, The
Gold Bug