Sender:
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 15:28:15 +0000
Hello Whitney and Conch-Lers,

There is a interesting article in the winter 1997-98 issue
of Ocean Realm magazine, page 26. A portion of it reads: "A
sea creature may provide yet another model for medical
science, with artificial skin, tendons, and other tissue
based on the anchors used by mussels to attach themselves to
rocks and ships. -----researchers at the University of
Delaware have mapped out the complex molecular structure of
the threads and suggest that their peculiar qualities might
provide material for weaving strong artificial skin or
perhaps even tendons made from the threads themselves."

 Our local Texas expert on mussels may be able to help with
information. Robert Howells at the Tx Parks & Wildlife
Dept., Heart of the Hills Research Station, HC-07, Box 62,
Ingram, TX  78025. Sorry, I don't have his phone number.

Good luck on your research!

Rosalie Taylor