Sender:
From:
Peter Egerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 17:00:13 -0700
Hi,
I agree that a collection must be enjoyed and to be so it sould be
visible. Although most of my collection is in the dark in those big
cabinet drawers, the cabinets are on one wall of my living room.
Whenever I have guests over, and they say "What's in those big things?"
I just say "Go have a look!" It's a great conversation piece for
get-togethers, although I always specify "DON'T TOUCH!" and I never
leave the room if the doors are open. Some of my friends who've already
seen the collection will literally drag newcomers over to the cabinets
and demand they look inside. I love it!

Peter Egerton

>Mathilde,
>
>Your collection sounds exciting to see.  About a year ago I visited a
>couple who have quite a few shells (four years of diving off of
>Okinawa).  The shell cabinet in their living room was a riot of color.
>The shells in there were without tags or labels, an anathema to many
>devoted shell collectors.  They liked the wild mix of colors and felt
>data slips messed it up.  They are young enough to still be able to
>remember where they got each shell -- but even if not, a collection is a
>personal thing.  Sometimes to really enjoy something like that we need
>to bend or break some of the "rules" a bit.
>
>The only real valid critique is of a collection that is not enjoyed.
>Sometimes if we move outside the box, it adds a certain spark.
>Personally, I want and need that data slip with the shell as my memory
>isn't quite the shiny, stainless steel trap it once was.  But if you
>enjoy your collection, as you sound like you do and as the young couple
>certainly does; then how it is organized must be the correct way!
>
>And on that cheap bit of philosophy, I'm outta here,
>
>Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA (with a collection so well organized I
>lost all of my lambis for a very frantic two days!!  I misspelled lambis
>as trochus, could happen to anyone)

Peter Egerton, Vancouver, Canada
Collector of worldwide Mollusca