Sender:
From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:42:57 -0400
Bynes Disease is indeed a great threat to shell collections.  It appears
that it's an attack by a pesky fungus, the rhizomes entering the
crystalline matrix of the shells.  It appears as a white dust on some
shells.  It attacks some groups more than others and even within these
groups certain individuals more than others  This probably has something to
do with the 'density' of the matrix of the group and/or individual.

There has been quite a bit of newish research on the subject.  John's
comments are correct.  However, I must add one very important point, which
may keep some of the list from having heart palpitations.  High or
drastically fluctuating humidity is also necessary to cause major problems.
 So, the good news.....anyone with wooden cases and/or those who can't
afford the expensive achival boxes, don't panic!  If you live in an area
with high humidity, invest in a good air conditioner or at least an
efficient dehumidifier for your collection room.  And watch your cowries,
some muricids, small cones, and micros in general.

And buyer beware.....what looks like a good deal on an old shell collection
housed on some tropical island for the last fifty years, may not be a deal
at all.

Have a great weekend.

Kurt