Sender:
From:
Jose Eduardo de Alencar Moreira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 10:26:24 -0300
To: Conch-L <[log in to unmask]>
Dear all,

Since my two last messages (Doubts, doubts and more doubts I and II) were a
smashing UNSUCCESS, I'll plagiarize Art, trying to be the Doubt Man. Let's
see if the answer rate grows a little bit this time. ;-))

On the other hand, if I received just one response to 6 questions (many
thanks Sarah!!), now I have three more questions. This worries me, because
if I continue to make 3 questions each 2 weeks, receiving answers in a snail
pace of one in the same period, we'll have 73 unanswered questions by the
end of the millenium. Aaaargh!!!  ;-))

These are the questions:

1) Is Conus euetrius Sowerby III, 1822 a valid specie? The Compendium lists
it as a synonym of C. abbas Hwass, 1792 and Rockel lists it as a variation
of C. textile.

2) Steyn & Lussi in their book Marine Shells of SA, say that Volva kilburni
is found from Port Elizabeth to south of Durban. I received one specimen
collected in Mozambique. Is it possible that the range of this specie goes
up to Mozambique?

3) Bob Lipe, this question is mainly directed to you. What are the main
differences between Marginella lutea Sowerby, 1889 and M. piperata Hinds,
1844

4) I'd also like to receive some hints on Marginella occidua (Cotton, 1944).
Is there anyone out there who can send me the description or a good picture
of this specie?

5) I also received a specimen named as Astraea milloni ? B & F. Savat and
Richard, 1973. I was not able to find it in any book I have. Does anyone
have its description and/or picture?

6) What is the right name: Pterynotus gambiensis or Purpurellus gambiensis
Reeve, 1845?

7) Is Murex mindanoensis Dohrn, 1862 a valid specie or just a subspecie of
brevispina? Springsteen & Leobrera and Radwin list it as a valid specie,
while the label received from a shell dealer and the Rice catalog list it as
a subspecie.

8) Does anyone have the description and/or picture of Conus barbieri G.
Raybaudi, 1995?

One more time heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp me, pleeeeeeease!!!!!

> Many thanks in advance.
>
> All the best,
>
> Eduardo
> Brasilia, Brazil

PS: Since I didn't make any question at all, here comes one more. What is
the e-mail address of Dr. Bosch?